Re: Double Clutching

Andy still doesn't get the double-clutching idea.   I'm confused because he
says that you put it in neutral and let the clutch out halfway and then
shift.   I let the clutch out all the way, blip the throttle to match revs,
and then shift.   This is to synchronize the transmission shaft speed (in
the new gear) with the engine's flywheel speed.   It also saves wear on the
clutch surface.

However, in a modern car with synchronizers, you can skip the neutral step.
As you downshift, push in the clutch, blip the throttle and change gears
all at the same time as you simultaneously brake (hence "heel and toe") and
smoothly let out the clutch.   If done correctly there will be no
transitional lurch, maintaining full traction on the drive wheels
(preferably in the rear, where God intended drive wheels to be) and not
upsetting the balance of the car.   This is important when driving on the
track at 10/10ths or trying to impress your girl (or guy, for those of you
so inclined, or female).   Heck, if I could find a woman who could heel and
toe as well as me, I'd marry her.    Well, maybe not.   She'd probably want
to drive my car all the time.   But I digress.    If you heel and toe
downshift properly, you will amaze your friends and impress your enemies.
People will ride in your car and swear that it has an automatic
transmission, because it is so smooth.

For those of you who are still a bit confused, heel and toe refers to the
technique of braking with your toe(s) as you use the heel of your foot to
blip the throttle.   Your other foot is engaging the clutch.   On most cars
that I have driven, you will actually use the side of your (right) foot to
brake and the other side to actuate the throttle.   Properly designed cars
such as Bimmers and Porsches and Corvettes have their pedals close enough
together that you can do this.   Other cars require extension plates on the
pedals to permit this.

OK, I'm getting off of my soapbox now.   Have a nice day.   Go practice
downshifting.

Michael