E34 fuel pump lifespan ? (or is 135k about the right time to blow up)

Gentle readers,
Why is it now that since I joined this digest I,
a) am finding all kinds of 'issues' with my e34
b) getting a strong desire to buy a new e46.............

Anyways,  my fuel pump is making more noise than I remember (rurh, ruhr,
ruhr) sort of like it's an out of balance tire.   What is the consensus on
the reliability of these devils ?

Do they fail miserably like my two Audis pumps did ?????  Is 135k enough on
this pump and I should replace it before it leaves me standing on the side
of the road ?

Thanks in advance
DWR
(who is headed out to find the fuel filter and change it-what the heck !)