double clutching

Hope everyone had a good holiday and got nice
BMW-related gifts. I got a factory alarm for my
car. Combined with my Glock 17 and the clear view
my 6th floor apartment commands of the parking
lot, this is a strong theft deterrent. (I can't
shoot for crap but crooks don't know).

I have a question for the list. Can someone
explain the point of double clutching? This is
where you change gears by putting the clutch in,
moving the gearshift out of one gear and into
neutral, then halfway releasing the clutch, then
putting the clutch all the way in and putting the
gearshift in the next gear.

This process is described in Bondurant's book and
others; he says it is often combined with heel and
toeing (which I do, sort of). What exactly does
double clutching accomplish? Is this some sort of
technique only useful in really old,
non-synchromesh cars or in race transmissions?

Just wondering. TIA

Andy '95 M3
      Glock 17

End of bmw-digest V9 #755