E28 535i Purchase Response

Charles asks about a potential E28 535i purchase,

		...snip

		I'd like to replace the following items if necessary &
continuously intiate peventive maintenance on a montly basis as long as the
cost does not exceed my current car payments of $225/mo.
		Fuel lines / belts
		Water Pump
		Radiator flow
		clutch
		Alternator
		Oil Spray bar bolts
		Engine Overhaul

		1] I guess my question is: Would you recommend a 535i to a
non
		mechanically inclined person with very limited funds.Ill
will be
		depending more on preventive maintenance and mechanics at
independent bmw shops to keep the vehicle operating safely.  I understand I
may have to shell out $2000 a year for service and preventive maint.
		2] Are there e28 owners out there who are not too
mechanically inclined?
		Do you depend on shops to do most of your pm and service?
		Excuse me, If these questions have been answered by FAQ's
		Charles De Jesus

Charles,

I have an '85 535i, and have been very happy with the car.  I drive it
almost daily and have never had it fail on me, at least once it has started
(there have been some batter-related problems, but I blame Schuck's Auto
batteries, not the car).

I was NOT mechanically inclined when I bought the car in 1991, but have had
fun learning about it and about cars in general.  You never know - buy a
Bentley manual, spend $100 on some Craftsman tools (no flames from the
Snap-On crowd, please) and give it a shot!  Regardless, using a shop for
PM/service is entirely doable.

Your list above looks good, although I would add front brakes and perhaps a
front end rebuild, if this has not already been done.  I would also say that
$225 per month/ $2000 per year is more than enough to keep the car in good
shape.  IF the oil has been changed regularly, you should be able to get
250K or so miles out of the original engine.  Try to buy a car with service
records, if possible.

Before you buy a used car, though, be sure to spend $150 for a buyer's
inspection.  Basically, you get a BMW mechanic to go over the car and tell
you all the things that are wrong with the car.  Given that you are looking
at used cars, there WILL be some problem areas.  The decision, then, is how
serious, how soon, how much?

Regards,

Reed
Seattle