Re: double clutching

Double clutching?   That takes me back about two and a half decades ago when I
had a used and abused  '69 Triumph GT-6, a 1900 lb car with a two liter
straight six with twin SU carburetors. Double clutching was a way of life. At
least if I wanted to downshift smoothly. It seems as if the synchros in some
of the gears had been trashed which seemed to be a common problem with those
cars.

In order to downshift without grinding the gears, such as in a third to
second, I would let up on the gas in third while pushing in the clutch, slip
it out of third, renegage the clutch just long enough to blip the gas to bring
the RPM of the main shaft of the trany up to speed to match the engine when I
pushed the clutch in just far enough to slip it into second gear.

Now a days the only time I even think about double clutching would be to have
fun on slippery surfaces, such as snow, to keep the rear wheels from slipping
on a down shift. It really seemed much more natural in the Triumph. With a
fully synchro transmission, it really is not necessary.

As for heel and toeing, that is where one would put their toe on the brake and
blip the gas with their heel, or the other way around. I wonder if early BMW's
had the same problem with the synchros going bad?

Peter

1986 E28  169K