Re: bmw-digest V9 #747

In a message dated 12/26/98 22:49:26 Pacific Standard Time, owner-bmw-
digest@domain.elided writes:

<<
 From: "David Win" <lilbuddha@domain.elided>
 Subject: m50 overheating still.

 Hi fellow digesters,
 I have a very big headache.  My 92 325i keeps overheating.  Initially my
 radiator tank cracked so I replaced that,  thinking everything is fine,
 I drive about a block and my car overheats.  I then replaced my
 thermostat( 76 degrees Stant),  drove about  a block, again overheats.
 I then think to myself change the water pump so I did, drove a block,
 overheats.  What's interesting is at idle it's fine, its only when I
 drive.  Also the plastic tank where I pour the coolant in is not
 circulating(is it supposed to when car is warmed?).  Is it the
 aftermarket radiator(it fits fine)?  The radiator cap?  Sensor?  All
 your inputs will be greatly appreciated.
 David

David: If you have been bad and not used neutral water and quality antifreeze,
your car is old enough to have a clogged radiator (you didn't say how long ago
the aftermarket unit was installed).  If there is no flow from the top hose to
the expansion tank, it is a good bet that the hose gets VERY hot.  Check it
out.  If so, radiator is probably clogged.  If your previous water pump was
shot, it can send ground metal into the radiator, which clogs it (so you may
be able to flush it out if nothing else is wrong with the radiator).

Chas.
'83 633CSi
'85 528e
'88 735i