<e-30> stereo upgrade question

Dear Digesters,

I have a 1991 325ic and with all the talks on stereos I am thinking about
improving mine.  The stock head unit is the "magic finger" type and the
previous owner installed a pioneer CD changer hooked up to the head unit via
the FM signal.  I would like to install a bass-tube in my trunk and I was just
wondering if anyone here has done this to their cars.  My car (convertible)
does not have a pass-through from the rear seat and I don't know if I can even
hear any "bass" from the trunk.  Any insights? Also, I think the next step
would be to upgrade my head-unit.  I want a CD changer that is hooked up
directly to the deck.  Can the audio experts here tell me how the stock deck
compares to the aftermarket decks?  If I were to get something between
$200-$300 would it sound better than the stock deck?  Should I be thinking
about replacing the stock speakers as well? They sound pretty good (though not
great) to me for now.  Finally, anyone in the New York area knows of any good
places for purchasing and installing stereo equipments? (NY, NJ, CT) Any
suggestions on how I can improve my stock system is greatly appreciated.
Thanks for the bandwidth.

Happy New Years
Michael Su
Raven00088@domain.elided