RE: E36 M3 rear suspension noise

I love my ChassisEar/EngineEar combination.    Has six really long color-coded ceramic microphones
and leads (about 16') that go out of an amplifier box (one amplifier, so you only listen to a single
channel at a time) and a six-position color coded rotary switch.  You clip the microphones on, and
safety tie it to various suspension parts via cable ties.

The six-channel box sits next to your driver's seat, and you plug in a provided full size
headphones.   Then go for a ride, selecting one of the six colored channels until you
narrow down the noise culprit.

The EngineEar is another box with a long probe, amplifier, switch/volume control.
Really nice electronic stethoscope, it's fun to listen to fuel injectors.

It all comes in a pretty good size plastic tool box, with cable organizers, etc.

Seems like if you had one of these, you'd be done diagnosing this!  I've only
seen it in A&I Supplies tool catalog.

- - Skip