E36 M3 rear suspension noise

Hey guys, I recently posted my concern about the noise that's coming
from my rear suspension that's been bothering me for quite some time.
For those of you that replied, I thank you guys greatly!  For the ones
that don't know my situation, I have Bilstein Sports, H&R 29910.1, and
RD sway bars.  I first changed the shock mounts, but the noise still
stays.  I then took the advice to check the sway bar links, they were
all tight.  I then checked my e-brake cable, that too turned out tight
as well.  Damn, all the things checked out fine!!! but the darn noise is
still there!!!  I took it to my no-good-incompetant dealer which was
absolutely no help to the problem, and they told me that the shocks were
bad???  now, is that possible???  the noise is a klunking noise, it only
does it when the car goes over uneven surfaces or speed bumps, it kinda
rattles and makes a metallic klunking noise.  I'm hesitant to send the
shocks back to bilstein, after all they are only four month old.....
Now, my question is, when shocks go bad, is this the kind of noise they
make???  All helpful replies are greatly appreciated, TIA!!!