e23 7'er questions

My father has an '83 733i with 210,000 miles and is having several
problems of late.

Firstly, the heating and air condition system isn't functioning
properly.  All air flows to the defrost vents regardless of which button
is pressed.  I've heard that this is common problem, but what is the
fix?

Secondly, the central locking system is hosed.  The car cannot be locked
or unlocked from the drivers side door.  I haven't done much of a
diagnosis on this item as yet so any feedback is welcome.

Thanks a bunch.

Nik
'94 325is sharked