Re: Painting my brake calipers

Jeff Patch (VeeDubJeff@domain.elided) wrote:
> I'd like to paint my brake calipers.  They definately are ugly.  I have not
> removed them or even looked at them a great deal, but I just installed new
> wheels and you can see a lot more of them than my old wheels and I bet
> everybody would agree that there is nothing nicer than good looking calipers
> peaking out behind some good looking wheels.
>
> First of all, removing them... I don't think I'd like to paint them while on
> the car???
>
> I'm not planning on doing a great paint job on them... just some spray paint
> and maybe a protective coat over that.
> What process should I use when
> painting them... or should I just spray them with a can of spray paint?

I painted the calipers of my M roadster red using the Folia Tec brake
caliper paint kit.  It costs somewhere around $50 and can be purchased
from, among other places, MG Racing (http://www.sintmaarten.net/mgracing/).
I found it rather easy to do without removing the calipers (although boy
do I wish I had a lift in my garage!!!)

I wrote up an article on it including pictures which you can read at

     http://www.mz3.net/articles/alan/2.html

You do NOT want to use just regular spray paint on your calipers--it won't
stand up to the heat generated during braking and will crack and peel off.
I know of someone who even used high-temperature oven paint on his
calipers and said he was unhappy with the results over time.

I have heard someone on the digest say that they were thinking of painting
their calipers with a Testors paint marker, but I haven't heard how that
turned out.

Good luck!

- --Alan
(z3@domain.elided)
'98 silver/red-blk/red M roadster (Buffy the Boxster Slayer)