Re: Painting my brake calipers

Jeff writes:

>I'd like to paint my brake calipers... <snip>
>
>I'm not planning on doing a great paint job on them... just some
>spray paint and maybe a protective coat over that.  They are filfy,
>if not rusty??  <snip>

Jeff,

I painted mine a few months ago using the Folia Tech Caliper Painting
Kit from Ultra Performance in Tucson, Arizona (800.438.5872).  The kit
is a hand painting kit and comes with a can of brake cleaner, although
you'll probably need to buy extra cans from your local auto parts store.
I used three cans in all.  You paint the calipers on the car but removal
of the brake pads makes it easier.  The results are great with a smooth,
glossy finish.  There are some pics of my calipers on the MPower site
(www.bmwmpower.com) under the gallery section.

The kit is designed for brakes so the paint can handle high temps.
Lesser paints will start to peel off with a short time.  As for colors,
I used red but other colors are available.  IMO, red looks great with
about any body color.

One suggestion:  Clean thoroughly...PITA but it's the most important
part.  You won't believe the amount of crud on the calipers and my car
was just a year old.  Use plenty of brake cleaner and a wire brush to
scrub 'em clean till you can see the metal.

Hope this helps.  The kit costs about $50.

Calvin Hare
Orlando, FL
'96 M3 - Red Calipers