Painting my brake calipers

I'd like to paint my brake calipers.  They definately are ugly.  I have not
removed them or even looked at them a great deal, but I just installed new
wheels and you can see a lot more of them than my old wheels and I bet
everybody would agree that there is nothing nicer than good looking calipers
peaking out behind some good looking wheels.

First of all, removing them... I don't think I'd like to paint them while on
the car???  I have a hayne's manual (i know i know, buy bently... I will
soon!!!) and I'm sure I can be walked through the removal process with the
manual.  I have to remove brake hoses right?  Will stuff start squirting out?
How do I prevent/stop this from happening?

I'm not planning on doing a great paint job on them... just some spray paint
and maybe a protective coat over that.  They are filfy, if not rusty??  Like I
said I haven't taken a close look at them.  What process should I use when
painting them... or should I just spray them with a can of spray paint?
Should they be anti-rusted (is this possible???), primed, etc???

One more question,  what color would look good?  It's an 86 325es (e30).  It's
alpine white and the paint is in great shape.  I've got european silver wheels
(not chrome).  I'm thinking white would match good, but that'd get dirty
easy... would about black?  Blue or red would stand out, but would probably
look bad with the white paint of the car.

Any suggestions are appreciated... thanks in advance!!!

Jeff Patch
veedubjeff@domain.elided
jeffpatch@domain.elided
http://jamspot.simplenet.com/bmw   <--- my e30 site