Re: VW wheels

In a message dated 12/22/98 12:14:35 PM Eastern Standard Time, Jerry C wrote:

>  A  good fit (on an '02 anyway and the '02's and E30's seem to be
>  interchangeable) are the same type wheels off of a late '80's to early
>  '90's VW GTI or Jetta.  Lots of VW wheels fit and they had a sport package
>  of sorts that had the 15" BBS wheels in a 4x100 that fits.

Jerry,
The 4 bolt VW mentioned above share BMW's hub fit (57.06 mm?) and bolt
pattern, and the offset might work on some of our cars (better w/ E30 than
E21, as the FWD VW have greater offset).
The problem I see is that the OE VW wheels don't have the common 60 degree
conical seats for their bolts like BMW has.  Volkswagen uses a radiused seat,
and the bolts have to match.  If the short VW bolts are enough for your
application, you're ok.  But if you need longer bolts for any reason
(spacers), or lugnuts for the studs on an 02, I don't know where you'd get
them with the correct VW radius.  It's easier to fit BMW wheels & bolts on a
VW than the other way around.
There are conical-to-radius adapter washers available through specialty wheel
accessory houses, but I've no experience with them.  The catalog from "Mr.
Lugnut" (actual name) shows them at 500 to a box at a 0.25 ea jobber.  Anybody
sitting on these, or another hardware fix?
 ///  J o h n   A h o
motor city chapter
couple gti's, a few bmws, one F250HD