Re: VW wheels

John,

I didn't think of a few things.  The hub size would be wrong (Bimmers have
a 72.4mm or something close to that).  It wouldn't matter on an '02 but it
would on a hub-centric car.

Finding lug bolts may not be a problem.  There are plenty of companies who
create hybred bolts for american hot rods (The older cars used a flat seat
and the new ones are conical) so you can put new style rims on an older
car.  There's even a company in SoCal (I think they are called Dixi) that
does a lot of spacer/lugnut-bolt type of things for foreign (read - metric)
cars.

Anyone else have some thoughts?

Jerry Chyo
'88 M5
'72 tii

At 09:40 PM 12/22/98 EST, John wrote:
>The 4 bolt VW mentioned above share BMW's hub fit (57.06 mm?) and bolt
>pattern, and the offset might work on some of our cars (better w/ E30 than
>E21, as the FWD VW have greater offset).
>The problem I see is that the OE VW wheels don't have the common 60 degree
>conical seats for their bolts like BMW has.  Volkswagen uses a radiused seat,
>and the bolts have to match.  If the short VW bolts are enough for your
>application, you're ok.  But if you need longer bolts for any reason
>(spacers), or lugnuts for the studs on an 02, I don't know where you'd get
>them with the correct VW radius.  It's easier to fit BMW wheels & bolts on a
>VW than the other way around.
>There are conical-to-radius adapter washers available through specialty wheel
>accessory houses, but I've no experience with them.  The catalog from "Mr.
>Lugnut" (actual name) shows them at 500 to a box at a 0.25 ea jobber.
Anybody