Converts at driving schools

Well, this is particularly timely, as I just picked up our M Roadster
today.  I run a lot of track events with Ferrari and Porsche, and neither
of them care about soft tops.  And belive me their is a higher risk of the
355 spider driver flipping then a M Roadster BMW enthusiast.  I also
understand the liability, but bottom line I am responsible for myself and I
signed a waiver.  I am an attorney, i understand the law - but I signed a
waiver and we can both prove that all reasonable precautions were taken on
both sides to minimize an accident, and we can prove that it is NOT the
absolute safety rule that cabs must be run with roll bars.

Furthermore, i think that CCA, especially Los Angeles is ridiculous.  They
won't even let me run with a HMS bar and Harnesses - and I am an
experienced A group driver.  I have run 4 schools in the last 2 months with
the P and F cars and have never even seen or heard of a Cabriolet or Spider
driver asked about a roll bar or harnesses - they are only asked if they
signed the waiver, adjusted the pressure in their tires and attended the
classroom sessions (and if solo - if they were checked out by an instructor
- - and these are real race  drivers like Cort Wagner and Danny McKeaver).
When will CCA wake-up.  There are so many of us young experienced drivers
with soft-tops that are even willing to go HMS, but we are alienated.

With that said, yes I am planning on buying a dedicated track car soon.
But with purchases of a 540i/6M and an M Roadster in the last 6 months, my
track car budget has been significantly impaired.

C'mon you guys, BOTTOM LINE is that it IS MY LIFE, and if I want to risk it
- - LET ME!

B.
Bradley J. Otoupalik