RE: Converts at driving schools

Bradley J. Otoupalik writes:

>Well, this is particularly timely, as I just picked up our M Roadster
>today.  I run a lot of track events with Ferrari and Porsche, and neither
>of them care about soft tops.  And belive me their is a higher risk of the
>355 spider driver flipping then a M Roadster BMW enthusiast.  I also
>understand the liability, but bottom line I am responsible for myself and I
>signed a waiver.  I am an attorney, i understand the law - but I signed a
>waiver and we can both prove that all reasonable precautions were taken on
>both sides to minimize an accident, and we can prove that it is NOT the
>absolute safety rule that cabs must be run with roll bars.
<snip>
>C'mon you guys, BOTTOM LINE is that it IS MY LIFE, and if I want to risk it
>- - LET ME!

Unfortunately, Brad, you aren't the only one who has to live with the
tragedy of a possible spinal cord injury (or worse) from a convertible
rollover.  Many of the driver school officials just aren't willing to risk
spending the rest of their lives with the thought of someone having ended
up in a wheelchair because of a driver school they helped organize and
conduct.  Quite a few instructors feel the same way.

You may be willing to risk your life, but that doesn't mean the rest of us
have to let you.

Bob Stommel
Hoosier Chapter