<misc>RE:Heater Control Valve "Thumping"

It was written:

I'm getting a strange "thumping" type noise coming from
within my dash, when I have the heat on.  It doesn't matter
what setting the directional controls are set to or what the
fan speed is.  It makes a noise about every 10 seconds.
Does anyone know what this might be?  Thanks.

======================================

I guess some guys miss recent posts, as I posted this about 4 days
ago, and at least 1 reply was posted to the digest.  Regardless, I
received about 4 private emails (very good, helpful ones I might add)
all along the same vein.  I have learned:

1)It's not an exclusive "trait" of E36's.
2)It is possibly air in the cooling system, causing the coolant to
gurgle as it makes its way through the system.
3)It is possibly/probably related to the Heater Control Valve, which
was described as being of a  solenoid design.  It was described as
some sort of flap that opens and closes, and allows coolant to flow
through the heater core.

Suggested remedies were to bleed the cooling system, following the
manufacturers directions. (Dont email me and ask me how, cuz I wont
know until I read that section in my Haynes).  If that does not work,
have your coolant system flushed (if it hasnt been done in awhile),
and finally, test and replace the heater control valve (located
directly beside the brake fluid reservoir in E36's).  Apparently,
thats an easy repair if necessary.

I CAN tell you from experience, that mine has always done it quietly
and unobtrusively until my coolant level fell really really low
(forgot to tighten the reservoir cap securely), and I had to top it
off.  THEN, it became loud, annoying and frequent (about every 3-4
seconds).  After about 1 week, it dissapeared.

Ron Browne
1992 318is
Bowie, MD