<E36>M3 Engine Issues

I followed (follow?) the E36 blown engine/mis-shift thread with
interest, mainly because it was a little difficult for me to believe
so many people were callously blowing M3 engines.  I rarely hear of
325/328/318 engines being mis-shifted, but quite a few E36 M3's.  I
leafed through an old Roundel today (The June 1998 issue) and scanned
page 43, and noticed the following:

  ".....E36 valve spring retainer failure may be the result of
extremely hard braking where the oil is thrown forward in the pan and
whipped up by the timing chain.  The resulting froth forces air into
the hydraulic lifters, increasing valve clearance and blowing the
whole shebang to kingdom come. Later M3's have hardened valve springs
but BMW is mum on the subject..."

  The above info was attributed to Ray Korman, owner of Korman
Autoworks.  Ray is a well-respected BMW tuner-guru.

I found the above interesting, and thought E36 M3 guys might too.
Apologies if I simply re-hashed old news.

Ron Browne
1992 318is
Bowie, MD