re:<E30> repaint or replace--seeking wisdom

>Date: Wed, 16 Dec 1998 09:14:32 -0700
>From: Kurt Zimmerman <kuzimmer@domain.elided>
>Subject: <E30> repaint or replace--seeking wisdom

>I have an '89 325is.  I purchased the car 2 years ago for $8000.  It
>had 93,000 mi.  At that time the wholesale value on the car in >Indiana
was about $9000. The paint needed work but it checked out >mechanically.
I've really enjoyed driving the car, but now the paint >is starting to
bother me.  With 130,000 miles, the car is worth about >$5000.  I
received repainting estimates from two shops which were >over $3500
(there is some damaged that was covered up).  Both shops >suggested that
I try to find a car that is cleaner.  The problem is >that despite
having 130,000 mi,  most of the problem parts on the
>car are new.  It runs strong and is a blast on the track.  I don't
>care about resale value, I just want a car that looks nice and is fun
>to drive.  My wife refuses to make car payments so we'll need to save
>for about 6 or 7 years to be able to be able to pay cash for that >year
2000 BMW.

>Given that I'm going to have this car (or a similar replacement) for
>the next several years, the question is: Do I spend the $3500 to >paint
a car whose mechanical condition is known?  Or do I try to sell >my car
and find (if I can) a nicer looking, lower mileage, vehicle >with
(possibly) an unknown mechanical history?

>There is a third option.  Attempt to prep the car as best I can, then
>go to a place like Maaco and get their best paint job.  But this
>doesn't feel like a good solution to me.

>You can email me direct.

>Thanks,

>Kurt Zimmerman

Hi Kurt,
I was in the same boat you are.  My '85 325e paint job is deteriorating
rapidly and I was faced with the decision to sell or renovate.  I've
decided to restore the car.  Admittedly, I did try to sell the car at
first, but no one wants to buy a car with a crappy paint job.  It seems
that everyone expects a brand new looking car - even if it IS used.
Moreover, you just can't get the money you want out of the car when the
paint looks like dung.  Besides, I love the car and I think it will be a
blast fixing it up.  I've never owned a car that I tricked out and I
think it would be fun.  Since my control arms are shot, I'm replacing
them and I've got my Bilsteins and Eibachs on order as I type.  I went
to MAACO and got a price quote from them for about $1500.00 for their
top-of-the-line paint job.  A co-worker got their $800.00 paint job and
for the price it didn't look too bad.  But I figured if I'm going to
keep this car until it disintegrates, I might as well put a nice paint
job on it.  I also didn't like the fact that MAACO doesn't remove
anything to paint the car - they mask the whole thing off and shoot
away. So I opted for the $3000.00 paint job from a local shop (I haven't
done this yet, though).  Among other things, I'm going to replace my
cotton interior with black leather or leatherette.  It's gonna be cool!
Of course if I could afford it I would just buy a new car with all the
goodies on it I want but that's not an option for me!  Good luck, Kurt!
Chuck MacWilliam, R.N.
'92 525i
'85 325e
'90 Chevy Silverado