<E30> repaint or replace--seeking wisdom

I have an '89 325is.  I purchased the car 2 years ago for $8000.  It had
93,000 mi.  At that time the wholesale value on the car in Indiana was about
$9000. The paint needed work but it checked out mechanically. I've really
enjoyed driving the car, but now the paint is starting to bother me.  With
130,000 miles, the car is worth about $5000.  I received repainting estimates
from two shops which were over $3500 (there is some damaged that was covered
up).  Both shops suggested that I try to find a car that is cleaner.  The
problem is that despite having 130,000 mi,  most of the problem parts on the
car are new.  It runs strong and is a blast on the track.  I don't care about
resale value, I just want a car that looks nice and is fun to drive.  My wife
refuses to make car payments so we'll need to save for about 6 or 7 years to
be able to be able to pay cash for that year 2000 BMW.

Given that I'm going to have this car (or a similar replacement) for the next
several years, the question is: Do I spend the $3500 to paint a car whose
mechanical condition is known?  Or do I try to sell my car and find (if I can)
a nicer looking, lower mileage, vehicle with (possibly) an unknown mechanical
history?

There is a third option.  Attempt to prep the car as best I can, then go to a
place like Maaco and get their best paint job.  But this doesn't feel like a
good solution to me.

You can email me direct.

Thanks,

Kurt Zimmerman