<Misc> Best way to ship rims and tires

Philip,

A few years ago I ordered a set of tires from Tire Rack. I think the way
they shipped the wheels and tires worked very well. I sold the OEM set to
someone in Texas and used the same techniques and had no problem.

What Tire Rack does is place a round piece of thick cardboard on the sides
of each tire so that the walls are completely covered. The tire tread
remains exposed. They then wrap five shipping bands around the tire to hold
the cardboard in place. Each tire is then labelled for shipping with
complete address info on each one (the address label simply goes on the
cardbord). They number each one as part of the same shipment (ie. "Piece 1
of 4", "Piece 2 of 4", etc.). My new wheels and tires arrived without a
scratch.

They use UPS and so did I. You can pay UPS an extra $5 and they'll even pick
the shipment up at your house. They have an 800 you can call to arrange the
shipping and pickup. My only problem with UPS is that it took them about 4
weeks to get me my COD check but other than that I was very pleased.

Dick

End of bmw-digest V9 #705