Re: New M5

On Wed, 16 Dec 1998 MUDSCOW@domain.elided wrote:
	<snip>
> relate to...even if i could afford one...They say the new M V-8 has a throttle
> body for each cylinder, why the hell do they cover it all up with plastic?

Uh, maybe that plastic "cover" manages intake airflow better than some
prettier way?  Remember that in V configurations, the intake valves are on
the inside of the "V".  If you look at some old Ferraris, their "cover"
was attached to the hood, so that when you opened them up, you could see
the beautiful velocity stacks.  My guess is that the M-engineers opted for
function over form in order to get 400 NA HP from a 5 ltr engine that will
last as long as a BMW engine should (i.e. multiple 100k miles).

> Still get off on borrowing my pal's M5 and taking it to the gas station and
> opening the hood while the motion lotion is flowing...especially next to some
> gearhead in a mustang...Whoa Dude What is that thing?...That motor is a work
> of art...

No argument there.  Actually, each in their own way, all BMW motors are
works of art.

> Steve H
> 89 325iS

- -Jefrem Iwaniw, jiwaniw@domain.elided, '72 2002, '94 525i