Oil burning

<<<<<John Pease wrote:
When you take your foot off the gas, the cylinder vacuum draws oil through
the valve guides. The blue smoke you see while cruising is caused by oil
getting past the rings. I'll bet the oil consumption is just south of 1000
miles per quart and cylinder compression is about 110 psi.>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I was under the impression -  quite possibly a wrong impression - that worn
valve seals and guides produced smoke when the  throttle was opened after
idling for a few minutes, i.e., a puff as the car pulls way in first gear. I
also thought that smoke on closed throttle from higher revs was caused by
sudden vacuum pulling oil past the rings. Any thoughts?? Or are we talking
advanced states of wear here.

In any event, a dry/wet compression check would shed some light on the
issue, and , once you've got the head off to do rings , you might as well do
the valves ( but not necessarily the other way around.