Tire Chains

Personally, for an M3, I'd ask a friend to drive if there is a 1% chance
of any snow.  According to the manual, you're not supposed to put chains
on the 245/40-17's.  It didn't say anything about the 225/45/17 tires,
so, if you must drive, and don't want to spend money on a second pair of
rims and tires for your rears, you could conceivably switch the fronts
and backs, and drive really carefully.... Of course, I don't know how
the 245/40-17's will fit in the front... does anyone have experience
with this?  If no mods are needed, this seems to be the cheapest
solution for chains....  Probably the best option would be to find the
cheapest set of 16" wheels and tires that you can find to fit over the
brakes and use these for snow mountain driving, but that's still pretty
expensive!  Anyhow, I kinda need to know what the options are too, since
here in so-cal, we only really need chains to go skiing.

Edward Chan
'97 M3