re: E28 Carrier Bearing

David,

I don't know if I have a solution for you but here are a couple of
suggestions:

1.  Did you remember to 'pre-load' the carrier bearing?  Bentley manual
gives a description but the gist is to install the whole thing loosely
and then slip the center bearing (forward or backward, don't remember
which offhand) a few mm before tightening.  I can't imagine that failing
to do this step would cause such a rapid failure but it just came to
mind reading your post.

2.  I recently put a new driveshaft in my E28 535i and quickly had
knocking on the floorboards as you describe.  The actual culprit was
contact between the heat shield and one of the balancing weights welded
to the shaft.  It took a lot of experimenting to dent the heat shield in
the right place so that there was no contact, but that did take care of
the problem.  I guess that extreme contact of this sort could also
shorten the life of the center support bearing.

- --Jeff
'86 535i  - also w/ fake M badge, front and rear, from previous owner
I also have replaced the anti-theft TRX wheels with E28 M5 wheels.  I
once had an E28 M5 owner get bent WAY out of shape after seeing my car.
He was so angry at my attempted forgery that all he could do was gesture
at his car and mouth the words "THIS IS AN M5!"  Still cracks me up
every time I think about it.  I would love to take the rear fake badge
off but I am afraid it has been on there so long that it will leave a
mark if removed.