Sticky accelerator on E28

The accelerator on my E28 M5 has always been sticky at about 25% throttle
when cold.   But this morning it was about 25 degrees Fahrenheit, and once
I pushed the throttle to 25% or beyond, it just stuck there.   Fortunately
this is a BMW, not an Audi, so I was able to stick my foot behind the pedal
and pull it back.   Once the engine had been warm for a few minutes, the
problem went away.    Any suggestions?   My first thought is to spray
everything liberally with WD-40, if that doesn't work, replace the throttle
cable, then if that doesn't work, open my wallet and take it to the shop.

Thanks,

Michael