"check engine" light on '94 530i

>Date: Fri, 11 Dec 1998 08:43:32
>To: bmw
>From: Steve Tribble <d382int@domain.elided>
>Subject: "check engine" light on '94 530i
>
>hey all!!  I have been mostly a lurker on this list on and off for
approximately 2 1/2 years.  I have been absent since I had to sell my first
bmw (87 325e) last year.  I resubscribed about a month ago when I bought a
very nice '94 530i with 90k on it.  It has run perfect since purchase except
for a couple of weeks ago my check engine light came on.  I looked in the
owner's manual and it said I could still drive it but that it had something
to do with the electornic emissions controls and to consult my bmw dealer as
soon as possible.  Since the closest dealer is about 2 hours away, i still
hav en't done that.  But the light was only on for 10-15 minutes and I
haven't see in again since...............until today.
>It came on again today.  can anyone tell me what this means or if you have
had the same problem.  thanks for any help.

>Stephen A. Tribble
>'94 530i
>BMWCCA Members since 1996

Stephen Allen Tribble, CRSS
Assistant Director of Recreational Sports
Southeast Missouri State University
d382int@domain.elided
www2.semo.edu/recsports/homepage.html