E28 requires macho man to steer

'Lo, Margot!

Or Rob - the post was confusing as to who the author was.  So,
several questions and observations:

- - Which 'fluid' did you check?  Hopefully the ATF-filled metal
  beastie.  If you have 'cleaned the switch' in the past, that
  sounds like the brake fluid.  Check the big yellowish can.
  With alotta luck, it may just be very low.
- - Which 'Brake' light came on?  The one on the overhead panel
  watches the brake fluid level in the reserviour, the red light
  in the instrument cluster cares about hydraulic pressure from
  the boost system.
- - With a normally-operating system, the level will be down over an
  inch when you first turn off the car, and will creep up a bit at
  a time if you stomp the brakes 10 - 20 times.  This discharges
  the nitrogen ball, aka 'brake bomb', which stores hydraulic pressure
  in the event of an engine failure.  If the stomp-test doesn't
  work, replace the nitrogen ball.  $60ish at BavAuto, $135+ at a
  dealer.  You choose!  ;~)  (no affiliation, Steve D'G great, too!)
- - The liklihood of bad fexible brake lines giving you these problems
  is zilch.  But kevlar's cool, if you are looking for performance.
- - I am assuming you have covered the basics such as the belt driving
  the power steering pump.  Any unusual noises?
- - The bad bushings are extremely unlikely to interact with your boost
  for either brakes or steering.  Steve D'G's replacements are awesome.

Have fun!  Larry F.

>Date: Sat, 12 Dec 1998 23:53:24 -0800
>From: Margot Anderson <kiawah-anderson@domain.elided>
>Subject: E28 requires macho man to steer
>
>My '88 535i has had a problem recently with steering effort.  The
>steering effort goes from a stock E30 318i to an E28 with the motor shut
>off.  It comes and goes at random and I can't seem to figure out why.  I
>have only come up with two possible solutions which I don't know would
>cause it.
>
>	First the car seems to have changing amounts of brake pressure.
>Nothing that has gotten me too worried, until yesterday when I was
>driving home from work and the "brake" light began to come on.  Then it
>stayed on, unless I was going around a corner.  I checked the level of
>the fluid as soon as it came on and it was right up at the top.  I had
>this problem once before, and ended up taking the level sensor out and
>cleaning it.  It seemed to fix it.  Then I read in the Owners Manual
>that the "brake" light will come on if the brake pressure is low.
>Knowing that my brake pressure and my steering fluid pressure are
>directly related I said to myself it is time to replace old rubber brake
>lines.  So I have ordered Kevlar lined ones.  Could the loss of brake
>fluid pressure cause a loss in power steering fluid pressure?
>
>	I have the telltale shimmy in the front of the car.  The upper control
>arm bushings are swimming in their housings.  Could this create a
>binding situation making it harder to steer the car?  I was hoping to
>wait until the end of winter to install the 750i bushings and springs
>and shocks.
>
>Thanks for any help,
>Rob Anderson
>'88 535i 5 speed