E28 requires macho man to steer

My '88 535i has had a problem recently with steering effort.  The
steering effort goes from a stock E30 318i to an E28 with the motor shut
off.  It comes and goes at random and I can't seem to figure out why.  I
have only come up with two possible solutions which I don't know would
cause it.

	First the car seems to have changing amounts of brake pressure.
Nothing that has gotten me too worried, until yesterday when I was
driving home from work and the "brake" light began to come on.  Then it
stayed on, unless I was going around a corner.  I checked the level of
the fluid as soon as it came on and it was right up at the top.  I had
this problem once before, and ended up taking the level sensor out and
cleaning it.  It seemed to fix it.  Then I read in the Owners Manual
that the "brake" light will come on if the brake pressure is low.
Knowing that my brake pressure and my steering fluid pressure are
directly related I said to myself it is time to replace old rubber brake
lines.  So I have ordered Kevlar lined ones.  Could the loss of brake
fluid pressure cause a loss in power steering fluid pressure?

	I have the telltale shimmy in the front of the car.  The upper control
arm bushings are swimming in their housings.  Could this create a
binding situation making it harder to steer the car?  I was hoping to
wait until the end of winter to install the 750i bushings and springs
and shocks.

Thanks for any help,
Rob Anderson
'88 535i 5 speed