Re: bmw-digest V9 #684

>Date: Sat, 12 Dec 1998 16:21:10 +0800
>From: Brett Shortland <shorty@domain.elided>
>Subject: Re: <Misc>In-car flamethrower!
>
>Rob Mudry wrote:
>
><snip>
>
>>This article reminds me of a tool used a while back in Australia, I
think,
>>that helped police in car chases.  It was some sort of a ramming
device on
>>wheels, attached to the front of the police car, that when fired would
jet
>>towards the escaping car disabling it.  I don't remember exactly how
it
>>disabled the car, maybe electrical shock?   Anyone from down under?
>
>Sounds like a Dreamtime story to me ;-)
>
>Brett Shortland
>OZ

Waddya think Brett ?  This guy seen too many Mad Max movies mate ?

Actually, this is a real device that is going through testing stages here
in the US.  Anyone who watches shows like Next Step, Beyond 2000 or the
discovery channel would have seen this device.  It looks like a small RC
car that is jet fired from a patrol car and has a long flexible electrical
rod attached.  Kind of like a miniature bumper car.  It shoots an ultra
high voltage shock disabling the fleeing car's computer, thus ending the
pursuit.

They are also testing a device that shoots an electro magnetic pulse,
killing the car's electrical system.  Of course, the problem with this is,
it also disables other car's electrical systems.

Way off topic, there is even this cool new device that reads the electrical
impulses put out by the heart.  It is used to guide fire personnel to
victims in smokey rescue operations.  If the heart stops, it will give a
reading of where the last impulse was located.

John

End of bmw-digest V9 #685