Name that tune... err, engine noise

I am hearing a growling sorta sound, which seems to be coming from the
front of the engine.  It may just be a coincidence, but the engine
started making this sound around the same time the temperatures have
been dropping (in the low 50s today), and happens mainly when the
engine is cold.  Could this be the water pump about to give up?  Any
other ideas?  I don't know when the last time it was replaced, and this
is a high mileage car.  Maybe I should be carrying a spare water pump
in the trunk?  (Do the hoses need replacing if you replace the pump?)

Also, the car seems to idle a bit on the fast side, when it is cold,
and it is cold outside (50 F.).  It will idle at ~1500 rpm, as I coast
to a stop, and then drop to ~1100 rpm once the car stops.  (Am I getting
a bit of an eram[1] effect here, or is there actually some reason when
the engine runs a bit faster when the car is moving?)  Maybe I'm being
paranoid, but I'm trying to make sure that my car is fit to run the next
autox, in less than two weeks.

[1] BTW, the spell checker suggests "ream"

- ---
Rob Clark
San Diego
BMWCCA