Re: How much for '99 M3 car alarm?

E36 alarms are advertised for as low as $279 in the Roundel for BMWCCA
members.  Here are some ads/advertisers from the 11/98 issue:

Global Imports BMW	$ not listed		1-800-235-2987
Hendrick BMW		$220 for E46 alarm	1-800-476-8322
VOB BMW 		$279			1-800-462-7292
Dreyer & Reinbold	$279			1-800-875-4BMW

Global Imports will beat any authorized dealers price, so you may want to
call them last.  Unless the alarm for the E46 is different from the one for
your E36 M3, then Hendrick BMW is the cheapest so far.  I haven't bought
from any of these shops but am providing this info for your reference.

As for installation, it is relatively easy since your car is pre-wired for
an alarm and you just plug the alarm components into the corresponding
plugs in the car's wiring harness.  The three basic steps are: remove the
glovebox, plug the control unit of the alarm into the wiring harness behind
the glovebox, plug the siren of the alarm into the wiring harness near the
passenger side headlight.  It took me about 2-3 hours to install my alarm
(the hardest thing was removing the glovebox, actually).  The instructions
provided with the alarm are pretty good.  Let me know if you want detailed
installation comments that I saved from an old issue of the digest.

Jay Sala
BMW CCA, Golden Gate Chapter
328i