EURO M3(looking for Euro M3....some advice).

    Brent,
    Although there are numerous changes in the suspension and chasis of
the euro M3, the main difference is within the transmission and engine.
(a little tighter, different bushings, aluminum doors, different lights,
and other stuff I don't understand. However, you are really going to
feel the difference in the engine and transmission.  Since this is the
case, you're going to be better off purchasing a euro engine from a
salvaged car and doing a transplant along with the 6sp tranny.
    Although there are numerous Euro M3s for sale, they aren't cheap and
they are damn near impossible to sneak into the US unless you have some
serious connections.  Prices in Europe are also higher due to the
value-added tax that is tacked on to most cars.  e.g.--->  A new ///M5
in Geneva will cost you over $100,000.  These higher sticker prices are
clearly reflected in the cost of the cars on the used market.  My
brother, who just spent the last 6 months in Switzerland told me that
96-97 euro M3s are going for over $50K with around 20K MILES on them.
    Let me tell you what I did.  I bought a FLAWLESS 1996 M3 (white over
Modena with luxury package) with only 6K miles.  I paid $35K for the
car.  Out of Gebrauchte BMW teile (a German BMW dismantler) I purchased
a 3.2 euro M3 engine with 7K miles on it. (with transmission, computer,
wiring harness, etc.)  I then sold my US M engine for around 6K and the
transmission for another 1K.  The euro engine cost around DM14K which is
about $9K.US.  The math says that it's cheaper to do this.
    One other option is that you can get a Canadian 94-95 M3.  they
imported 40 european versions.  This was the first production run so
they have plenty of problems.  Likewise, good luck finding one with low
mileage for sale.  (there's one for sell in this month's Roundel).
    BTW... I am selling my M3 soon to this guy out in California who
wants it soon. I'll let you know if the deal falls through:
Here are the specs on my ///M3
1996 US M3 body, etc.  luxury package. (white over modena leather with
sports seats.)11K total miles.
1996/7 (I don't know) euro M3 engine and 6spd transmission with 12K
miles
Heated sports seats and mirrors
traction control (disconnected)
6 disc CD Player
all options
cool wood and chrome interior
BMP strut tower brace
FLAWLESS---P21S maintained and lexol.  always covered.
     I am getting out what I paid for it.  If anyone knows where a
flawless ///M6 is with LOW LOW LOW mileage, I'll buy it soon.  I drove a
635csi over the weekend and although it was an slushbox, I think it's
such a neat car.  If the M6 is better, WOW!!
                    Mike
                    96 ///M5 Evolution
                    95 325is