e28/m20 Spun News...

Ok, still don't know what happened, but hope to get the pan off today and
look inside. When I drained the radiator, nothing but lovely orange
Prestone. When drained the oil, I had a 3 lb coffee can under it and it was
90% orange- yes, out of the pan first, since oil floats, and about a cup of
oil.

1: I broke the plastic overflow nipple on the radiator- (silly one-time
clamp removed improperly) Is this 'side plastic' radiator piece available
or do I have to replace the whole rad? Fixes to keep original rad? It is
now less than an 3/8 inch, and no room to get a hose back on it.
2: Can I pull the tranny WITH the motor? Do I want to? (don't have a floor
jack yet)
3: Tips for removing the exhaust, mainly at the headers (front different
from rear, so, will a 325x/525x head take MY header(s)?
4: Why would I want a 325i or a 525i motor over a 528eta or 528i? More
power/less cc's? (1988) (maybe I should go with a 327? :)
5: If I got a 528eta, will a 528i head fit on it without changing the
pistons? More HP?
6: What is included with a 'short block' compared to a 'long block'? What
parts on my motor will be, should be, could be re-used on the new one?
7: Are the air boxes, exhaust, bolt-ups at tranny the same for a 325x/525x
as my 528e? (see updated url of the motor view
http://www.geocities.com/HotSprings/Villa/1494/pristine.html )

So confused... What motors will fit with my existing parts? I would love to
have more power, at either end of the spectrum. Different head with 528eta,
or 528eta head with a 325x/525x block? Will these 2 motor trannys fit a
528eta (I want to use my 5 speed and 3.25 diff) Can I get a "bigger" clutch
on it later? (during the exchange process) So many questions, so little
experience on BMW swaps, trannys, motor types/differences yadda yadda=
 yadda...

Thanks for letting me ramble, now time to don the coveralls once again...
- -
Steve Hodson/1988 E28 M20 (very unhappy)
- -
Feh!  Back in MY day, I used to run a 115=B0 fever and I'd STILL go to the
quarry! Uphill! Both ways!=20