White bulb on turning signal

Brett Anderson said:

"White turn signals are illegal in the US, and, I hope, the rest of the
world
too.   (now if only we could get rid of red turn signals.......)"

Are you sure about this? I have been using the white turning bulbs for a

year and not for
once I get bothered by cops.

White turn signal are illegal I live in N.C. The driver handbook
specifically address this issue as follows:
"Taillights must be red in color and visible for at least 500 feet."
"All motor vehicles produced since 1955 must have red or amber lights
that engage when the brakes or turn signal are used. These lights may be
combined with the taillights or may be separated, and they must be
visible for at least 100 feet in normal daylight."

I have clear taillights with the yellow (amber) bulbs. I believe most
states if not all require the same for turn signal color and brake light
color. No need to give 'em an excuse to pull you over.
Henry
clear taillights (in compliance with amber bulb)