Re: Audi vs BMW

Christopher Pawlowicz wrote:

> Matthew Yip sez
> >Neither Audi or BMW makes the "ultimate" all season car - it just ain't
> possible.
> >RWD BMWs are better dry weather handling but are unpredictable in wet or snowy
> >weather
>
> huh ? unpredictable ?
>
> I always thought that a bmw, with beautiful near 50/50 weight distribution,
> light precise steering, powerful motor and even more powerful brakes,
> sophisticated suspension, and now with electronic gizmos (traction control etc)
> would be considered a *very* predictable, capable automobile.

Perhaps the wording should have been "unpredictable for unskilled drivers".  The
electronic gizmos are dangerous bandaids that allow poor drivers to keep themselves
out of repair shops for one car accidents!

I had a recent opportunity to autocross an M-Coupe.  When I entered the stop
garage, I got the car sideways and was accused of turning off the traction
control.  Reality is, if you lift mid-turn and floor the accelerator again, any
kind of yaw-control or traction control won't work immediately, hence the nice
slide!  In other words, all the electronic gizmos in the world don't make up for
driver stupidity!

- --
Matthew Yip
mgyip@domain.elided