<E36 M3> Replacement Tires - AVS-I sizing problems

Hi All:

Hard to believe it but after just 25,000 miles of spirited driving, the
tires on my '97 M3 have had it. Anyway, I recently browsed Tirerack.com
expecting many alternative choices to my MXX3's but was shocked at what
I learned. The odd-ball OEM tire sizes for the '97 M3 (which are 225x45
17" in front, and 245x40 17" in the rear) are only available in two
brands - Michelin's Pilot MXX3 (OEM) for $1290/set! plus shipping,
mounting & balancing, and Pirelli P-Zeros for $928/set! Ouch. What's
going on here? It's frustrating to find a pair of Yokohama
AVS-Intermediates for the rear only to learn that they don't make
225x45's for the front! This is especially annoying because 1) AVS-I's
are excellent tires, and 2) they are half the price the MXX3's.

So I guess my questions are:  seeing that Yokohama DOES make a 235x45 17
size, should I consider going with these in the front and the 245x40's
in the rear? OR should I even consider 235x45's all around?
How do handling characteristics change with 235/245 or 235/235 vs the
OEM 225/245 layout? Do any of you have suggested front/rear tire
pressures for these differing set-ups (assuming spirited rural road
driving 80% of the time)?

Other issues to consider...this will be the last set of tires this car
will ever get from me. Since it's a lease car which will go back to the
dealer in April 2000 there's no incentive to stick with one size all
around like the 235's unless of course doing so is the best performance
choice. Any suggestions?

Tom Newton
'97 M3