<E30> Air Bag Steering Removal Question

Yesterday I posted a request for help regarding the replacement of the
turn signal/headlight dimmer switch on my E30.  Thanks to Dale Beuning,
Matt Meakin and Tom Moyer (??), I now know what I already suspected:  I
need to remove the steering wheel to replace the switch.  So on to my
now more specific question...

I have a 1990 E30 325i U.S. with an air bag steering wheel.  I know that
if I disconnect the battery for some period of time, the triggering
circuit will eventually lose its charge, and then it will be safe to
remove the wheel.  Question:  If I disconnect the battery and leave it
that way overnight, say 10 hours, would this be long enough to totally
disarm the firing mechanism so that I can remove the bag and the wheel
without risking the embarassment and potential danger of setting the
thing off while I'm sitting in front of it with tools in my hand?

As always, all comments and suggestions welcome (and yes, I've already
heard that I should just take it to a dealer), but of course, I'd sure
like to hear from someone who actually knows the correct procedure for
my specific car.

Thanks in advance,

Scott Miller
Golden Gate Chapter