<36 M3> OEM Tire longevity

Okay, I'm getting a bunch of emails from folks that are amazed that I
got 25,000 miles out of the OEM mxx3's on my 5spd '97 M3. Well, I better
be honest...25,000 was too much. Because actually, my left rear blew out
at 70 mph on the LIE (I495) four days ago from the stress of punching it
in a 3rd gear to 4th gear blast-off maneuvering around a weaving semi!
Yes the tire was so worn that the car's torque exploded it (LOL)!
Helloooo roadside assistance.

So, technically, all four tires didn't quite go 25,000 miles (3 are at
24,875, and one gave up at 24,800!). Close inspection today revealed a
ridiculous state of affairs -- these tires are shot!Honestly, I'm not
normally like this, but we've had such unusually awsome weather over the
past 20 months in NY (barely any rain or snow) I've been tempted to
stretch another 1000 miles here, another 1000 there, and before I knew
it, I was at 24k. Too bad I didn't make the change a few weeks back --
the lip of my left rear rim (which is still plenty drivable - hey, it's
a lease car) would be a lot prettier right about now!

And to my NYCCA friends, despite what you might think, that's why I
never showed up for the autocross over the weekend - not that a 225x45
in the left rear would have hurt my times any, it was just embarrassing
how far I let these tires go.

Thanks for all your advice, I better get something quick.

Merry xmas

Tom Newton
'97 M3