Re: E36 suspension-kinda long

<< Date: Fri, 4 Dec 1998 16:29:39 EST
 From: Matt6481@domain.elided
 Subject: E36 suspension-kinda long

<< As it stands, I'm considering the H&R OEM sport springs (.25" reduction)
and
 the AC Schnitzer springs ( 1.2" reduction, supposed to be VERY luxo ride with
 improved cornering and use of stock shocks if I don't want to upgrade) with
 either Bilsteins or Konis ( if at all). The claimed ride of the Schnitzers is
 a big advantage. Any opinions or suggestions?>>

Yea,  how about some Bilstein HD or Koni adjustables to start,  and leaving
the springs alone.  I know there are some digest "experts" that think they can
do better. BMW Motorsport went this route for years on the M6/635 and the
M5/535
SAME springs - stock shocks for the grocery getter (635/535) and Motorsport
(HD/Sport-kinda) for the M cars.

 <Maybe I'm looking at this all wrong... I understand how shocks work, I
 understand how springs work, but I don't see how they work in conjunction.>

Truth is you'll be swapping compromises and prolly end up on the short end of
the stick (when your girlfriend get's through with you) you want to be a race
boy on the street you'll have a car no one wants. (IMHO)

<< What is the role of each component?>>

Springs = holds the car up

Shocks = controls suspension travel

Sway bars = controls weight transfer.

This is simple,  but basically true.  You can use shocks to achieve *some* of
the same things sway bars can do.

I would do the shocks first, then sway bars, then maybe springs. I probably
wouldn't lower the car because I like the way it looks now.  Lowered cars on
the street (to me) look silly.

 <Would I be better off upgrading just my shocks/struts or just my spings?>

Shocks are the first step - they're is nothing wrong with your springs for the
first step

<I've considered starting with RD Sport swaybars, >

Sway bars could be a good next step.

<but is there a danger of lifting the inside wheels during cornering?>

That wouldn't be a concern.

 <I can't believe it's this hard to find an M3 level upgrade... I just don't
 want to forget that my BMW is a luxury car!!>

Why?  do you think BMW engineering and expertise grows on trees??? BMW spends
a LOT of money on both engineers and research to attain the level of
performance they do - don't think it come so easy.

Christopher

A couple of BMWs with pretty much all BMW parts.