re: M3 or 328is decision assistance

mhansen@domain.elided asked about an M3 vs. a 328is.

I have a '96 328is.  When I bought my car, M3s weren't available in Canada,
so I had no choice.

Here's some things to consider:
1.  M3 is quite a bit faster.  If you get into trouble, you'll be going much
faster.
2.  My 328is is really fast.  I can't think of a single situation where I
could have used more performance.  Although, I still wish I had an M3.
3.  Modifying an M3 is easier, because information is more abundant on the
digest.
4.  Insurance rates may or may not be different.  A couple of people on the
digest even mentioned the M3 was cheaper to insure!  Call around.
5.  The ride in the M3 will be more harsh.  This may or may not be a
concern.  The ride in my 328is is pretty cushy, and I wouldn't mind a
harsher ride (but I don't know about an M3 - I haven't spent much time in them).
6.  Parts at the dealer are usually cheaper for non-M cars.
7.  Purchase price will be higher for an M3.
8.  If you start to modify your car, the cost of upgrades for a 328is will
quickly cover the difference in purchase price.  And you won't have an M3.
9.  A 328is can be faster at a driver's school.  The driver makes a HUGE
difference.
10. To get the fastest car for the price of an M3, you should buy a 328i(s)
and spend the difference in purchase price in driver's schools.

If I could have chosen between the two, I would have chosen the M3.  But I'm
not disappointed.

Dean
'96 328is