Re: HD VS Sport Shocks

> Date: Tue, 01 Dec 1998 18:31:51 -0800
> From: paul <pault77@domain.elided>
> Subject: HD VS Sport Shocks
>
> hi,
>
> i posted the HD vs Sport Shocks originally, with all the helpful responses
> i've gotten i now understand why my car rose up a little. but what about if
> i used the same set of lowering springs on 2 different sets of shocks, one
> with sport shocks and the other with HD? would there still be a ride height
> difference?? since the sport shocks are shorter than the HD shocks would
> that make a difference??

It might (useful answer?) -- depending on the specific shock and its
application.

In the case where I researched this question with Bilstein (on an '87 911)
there is no shock height difference between HD and Sport, although (here's a
warning) the less knowledgeable Bilstein people who initially picked up the
phone are not clear on this either.  That said, the Sport's applications are
typically with stiffer suspensions.  This means (in general) a lower suspension
(requiring a shorter shock) and less suspension travel (*allowing* a shorter
shock).  I would assume that BMWs, because they are mostly substantially
lowered by high-performance suspensions, will have a shorter Sport shock.

As has been mentioned also in this thread, you really need to ask a
knowledgeable shop about the specific Bilsteins and the specific application.
Another recent poster here indicated that the valving between HD and Sport are
sometimes the same, sometimes not, depending on the application.  And make sure
(from my experience) that you talk to an experienced tech person, even at
Bilstein.  Bilstein's sales numbers are:

	(West) (800) 537-1085 (San Diego)
	(East) (800) 745-4636 (Connecticut)

		-Mike
		klein@domain.elided