e30 m3

Every now and again I see a high mileage e30 m3 for sale under $10k.  I
realize they have probably lived very hard lives, especially the drive
trains.  I've considered buying one as a track/rain car with the idea of
having to sooner or later replace the engine, perhaps the tranny, and
replace whatever weak and wear parts to bring it mechanically to as new.
I do not want a car I'll need to frequently make repairs to.  I would
probably have to pay someone to do most of the upgrades.

I'd appreciate any comments as to how reliable I could likely make such
a car and at what cost.  I have a feeling it may be biting off more than
I really want to chew, but it's very enticing as I've always loved these
cars.

FWIW, I live fairly near Ray Korman and Pete McHenry, names I've seen
bantered about.

TIA,
David D. Beatty
99 //m roadster
Myers Bigel Sibley & Sajovec, P.A.
Patent Attorneys
Suite 250, 111 Corning Road, Cary, NC 27511
PO Box 37428, Raleigh, NC 27627
Telephone: 919-854-1400
Fax: 919-854-1401
dbeatty@domain.elided