Re: Parking lot racing...

Daniel David Ayd wrote:

> I know we have a few police officers on the list so I'm directing my
> question mainly to you but also to those who may have some experience
> regarding this issue.
>
> What I'm interested is going to corporate or industrial complexes that

> have a series of buildings and warehouses sprawled about that are
> surrounded by a nice, large, twisting, turning parking lot.  I've gone
> couple times now on sunday's when they're empty and just ripped stuff
up
> in my 325.  Just practicing smooth transitions between throttle and
hard
> braking and vice versa and smooth turning.  Now I'm not laying down
> strips of rubber or hitting curbs or running over trees or
> anything...just driving...fast.  Is there anything legally I should be

> aware of?  Am I speeding even though it's private property?  These
> places are wide open, no signs of private property or no tresspassing
or
> gates that I'm sneaking around to get in...they're wide open.  I was
> thinking just trespassing...any thoughts?

Daniel,

I'm not a lawyer (nor do I play one on TV or the internet), but I would
think that you're exposing yourself to a huge liability, even if you
cause no harm to persons or property. All it takes is someone witnessing
your actions, then some damage being done to the property (not
necessarily by you). Someone could come after you litigiously (is that a
word?) at this point. At the very least, you may have to defend your
innocence (price a lawyer lately?).

Question for you: Is there a club near you that holds autocross events?
These a the perfect venue for your activities, and much cheaper than a
lawyer. Besides, it's timed competition, so you'll be able to measure
your progress. Just a thought.

HTH,
Evan