Re: Parking lot racing...

Daniel David Ayd writes:

>I know we have a few police officers on the list so I'm directing my
question mainly to you but also to those who may have some experience
regarding >this issue.  What I'm interested is going to corporate or
industrial complexes that have a series of buildings and warehouses sprawled
about that are >surrounded by a nice, large, twisting, turning parking lot.
I've gone a couple times now on sunday's  when they're empty and just ripped
stuff up in my >325. Just practicing smooth transitions between throttle and
hard braking and vice versa and smooth turning. Now I'm not laying down
strips of rubber or >hitting curbs or running over trees or anything...just
driving...fast. Is there anything legally I should beaware of?  Am I
speeding even though it's private >property? These places are wide open, no
signs of private property or no tresspassing or gates that I'm sneaking
around to get in...they're wide open. I >was thinking just trespassing...any
thoughts?
>Dan
>Looking for a safe place to play...

Dan,

Although you may think you found a car racing heaven, in fact you ARE
breaking laws by speeding on private property.  I'm not in police nor an
expert in law, but just my $.02 worth and some common sense.

First of all, it's not your private property.  It's someone else's private
property and they are liable for any damages or accidents.  But I think the
main issue is the public safety.  As you said, the lots open and not gated,
so there could be kids playing, biking, skate-boarding.  There could be a
young couple on a Sunday afternoon walk with their baby stroller.  Most
parking private parking lots, garages, etc. do impose a 10-15mph speed limit
for those reasons, although probably not enforceable by local police.

Again, you asked for thoughts...

Rob Mudry
'96 328is
BMW CCA #135536