Re: <E28> Cold Start Problem

> I have a '87 535is w/77k and noticed that the car will not start without
> holding the accelarator down on cold starts. This can happen regardless
> of outside temperature. When it does start after three attempts and foot
> on the gas pedal I do noticed a fuel odor for about three -four minutes.

> I've re-gapped the plugs, changed the fuel pressure
> regulator and it improved the pickup dramatically.

Also worth checking ALL the vacuum hoses for cracks and leaks.

> Is there a know problem with the cold start valve on the E28 535's?.

I'd suspect three things:

	The thermo-time switch
	Bad cold start injector valve
	Defective / dirty wiring between the two

The injector is a real pain to get at. I had replace the
fuel hose to mine without removing it and that was hard
enough! I'd try the thermo-time switch first.

- --
Email: john@domain.elided, John G.Burns B.Eng, Aberdeen, Bonny Scotland
Web  : http://www.unixnerd.demon.co.uk - The Ultimate BMW Homepage!

End of bmw-digest V9 #607