<E28> Cold Start Problem

I have a '87 535is w/77k and noticed that the car will not start without
holding the accelarator down on cold starts. This can happen regardless
of outside temperature. When it does start after three attempts and foot
on the gas pedal I do noticed a fuel odor for about three -four minutes.

I've re-gapped the plugs, changed the fuel pressure regulator and it
improved the pickup dramatically.

Is there a know problem with the cold start valve on the E28 535's?.

Philip Clark
1987 535is
BMW CCA# 128460
Ny Chapter