Storage of troubleshooting codes in OBD-II?

I start up the car in the morning and both my ASC-T and ABS warning lights
are on. I shut off the car and restarted. Still lit. Call the dealer to let
him know I'm coming in.  I drive .5 miles to get some coffee. When I
started the car again the lights did not come on.

No recent spirited driving. Weather conditions, clear. Overnight in the 40s.
Just one of those things? Has it happened to anyone else?

My mechanic told me it could have been a stuck relay and that the
troubleshooting codes are stored [I guess in the OBD-II]. He can look at
the codes and figure out what may have happened.

Does anyone know how long those codes are stored?

mailto:steven@domain.elided    http://www.happytogether.com/bmw/service
Germantown, MD                     Service comments
1998 318ti Arrest Me Red Sport 'FUN2DRV'
w/ open air roof, paint chips on the hood