Re: <WOB> R & F on fuel gauges

Alix Kay Sebesta writes:

> A great big thanks to everyone who replied to my question about the "R"
> on the gas gauge.  One more question comes to mind tho--is this a German
> convention or simply restricted to BMW's?....

I suspect "R" and "F" are a North American convention as I have never
seen them on a German-market BMW. The fuel gauges on the 3ers I have
looked at have always been labeled:

         1/2                          30
                                 15        45
   0            1/1    -or-    0              60

where 0 = empty, 1/2 = half full, 1/1 = full or alternatively, there
are 0, 15, 30, 45 or 60 liters in the tank. (If my ASCII art isn't,
try viewing this message with a mono-spaced font.)

- -John
'96 318is
john.firestone@domain.elided